Not all Direct Response agencies are created equal. There are a lot of options in an environment with ever-widening networks of communication. Businesses that take the time to do research before diving head first into the Direct Response marketplace come out ahead. Their relationships last longer and they’re generally happier with their campaign results.
A good Direct Response agency can help you navigate changing waters with some degree of comfort. Partnering with the wrong agency can waste time and money. Look for a combination of expertise, versatility, and human interaction to find the right one for your company.
- Are they established? While you’re trying to market the next new thing, you want your Direct Response agency to be experienced. If you’ve got limited resources, you don’t want to deal with anyone’s learning curve. As soon as you commit resources to advertise, you want the agency representing you to put them to the best use. Direct Marketing agencies that are established will know the DR landscape well. They will understand how to use multiple media formats to reach the desired market and entice customers to “buy now.”
- Do they have the tools? Not every product or service can be sold the same way. Some product audiences are influenced by social media, others by broadcast media. Some products are never on the radio; some are only on television. The best Direct Response agencies will be able to operate in any medium. One may be more specialized in a particular area than another; be aware of this when researching agencies.
- Do they have relevant or relatable product category experience? Some Direct Response agencies have built reputations in a super-specialized product segment, such as fitness or children’s products. While you shouldn’t rule out such an agency, if you’re bringing them a product outside of their niche, ask yourself if the agency’s experience and knowledge can be applied to your product to build a successful campaign.
- Do they measure up? When you hire a Direct Response agency, you will have goals and expectations at the outset. As time goes by and campaigns are released, know how the agency tallies responses by consumers. If something is or isn’t working, you should be able to identify it through the data. There is a wide variety of software products to track and evaluate response, demonstrating your ROI.
- Are they nimble? If you’re getting real-time information about customer response, the agency should be ready to act on it. Radio didn’t work? What about digital? Digital not making an impact? TV might be the perfect avenue! The market is changing all the time and a good Direct Response agency will be able to sift the good ideas from the bad and reshape a marketing campaign, as well as have options to meet changing realities.
- Can you work with them? A company that hires a Direct Response agency is entering into a potentially lengthy relationship and successful campaigns are based on open lines of communication. Find an agency that you’re comfortable dealing with. A good agency will provide your company with a dedicated account executive. Not only will they LISTEN to what you’re saying, but importantly, they will ASK the right questions and dig deeper to really understand your brand strategy. If you just don’t feel a synergy with the prospective Direct Response team for your product, shop for a different agency.
For more information on buying media that sells, contact Diray Media today.